Old fire solution

A piece of history in the village that has survived time
– not survived functionally but as a witness of the past.
From the time before automatic mechanics was invented.
It is an old common fire station containing a fire sprayer pushcart.
In the case of a fire, it was pulled to the place of action by 2-3 people.
There was an empty water tank and a mechanical pump on the tow truck.
The first had to be filled up manually, the second operated manually too.
At that time it was modern equipment, now only the building is left.

Eight hundred year old icon

Nearly the northernmost part of the danish part of the Wadden Sea,
“one and a half stone throw” from the coast lies the ancient city of Ribe.
Of many called Denmark’s most beautiful market town (see below).
Atmosphere gathered from centuries fills this historic city.

Midway between the Wadden Sea and the city could this statue be seen.
Imagining Queen Dagmar performed by sculptor Anne Marie Carl-Nielsen.
Her history is forever linked (along with the cathedral) to the history of the city.

As usual inspired by “Restlessjo” and her captivating “Monday walk” themes.

Walk through the city streets, once housing the rich and poor.
Now architectural history, which is not poor at all.

In Denmark, the word market town (danish: købstad) has existed since the Iron Age.
It isn’t known which was the first danish market town, Ribe were among the first.
The last town to gain market rights (danish: købstadsprivilegier) was in 1958.
At the municipal reform of 1970, market towns were merged with neighboring parishes,
then the market towns lost their special status and privileges
– the word isn’t used much anymore, only historic.


Shit happens with trouble

Toilets in model form World War One seen in some fortresses of Alsace
– used by both french and german soldiers (not at the same time).
The facilities have just changed “owners” a few times during the years.
In fact, there were sometimes air deficiencies in the underground plants.
No electricity, both petrol lamps and candles often went out due to lack of oxygen.
Unpleasant and dangerous to the soldiers, almost as dangerous as the war itself.

Smell of burnt rubber

The circuit Reims-Gueux was a Grand Prix motor racing road course
located in Gueux, west of Reims in the Champagne region – established in 1926.
The almost 8 km long circuit placed with start/finish line on public road.
The last year for Formula One at Reims came in 1966,
the final sports car competitions were held in 1969,
motorcycle racing continued for another 3 years.
In 1972, Reims-Gueux closed permanently due to financial difficulties.
In 1997 a historic race was cancelled for technical reasons.
So in 2002, the bulldozers arrived to demolish some portions of the track.
A few sections of the old buildings are still visible today around the pit lane.

The smell of burnt rubber almost gone.

Cheese story

Guess most have heard of the Camembert cheese.
Fewer may know that it is named after a small village in southern Normandy.
About the 2 very popular cheeses camembert and brie – from each regions of France.
it is said that the difference between them is only 300 km.
It is true in terms of distance, but there are similarities and differences as well.

The story tells that a priest on the run from the Brie area,
hid at a farmer’s wife in the village of Camembert.
As thanks for the help, he leave the cheese recipe for her.
The adventure of the Camembert cheese was thus underway.
The farmer’s wife was Marie Harel,
she is attributed as the mother of the cheese.

Marie Harel is honored both in the village and in the larger town of Vimoutier.
The last mentioned place with a statue that lost its head and other injuries,
during fighting during the invasion of Normandy.
The locals couldn’t afford the re-establishment of the sculpture.
Dairiemen from US Ohio, some of them had been in the battles.
They sponsored a new Marie Harel statue, it’s “cheese with heart”.

Remembrance of partnership

Dancing in the streets too, all the events are due 75 years since D-Day.

As usual inspired by “Restlessjo” and her “Monday walk” themes.

US rangers climbs the cliffs of Normandy in France
to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of D-Day.
The same way as the it happen in 1944.
This time without hostile fire and probably better developed equipment.
The old boys who took the real trip up in the 40s,
however nodded admiringly as they saw the young climb up.